Going on Vacation? Don’t Forget to Pest-Proof Your Home!
Warmer weather has finally arrived, and many families are planning their spring vacations. In between booking flights, checking car routes, or finding the best deal on a hotel, don’t forget to have a plan in place for pest-proofing your home before you leave. The last thing anybody wants to come home to after a nice vacation is a pest infestation!
Will you and your family be going on any vacations this year? Be sure to follow our essential tips for keeping the critters away while you’re not home!
1. Clean before you leave: Don’t leave behind a dirty house! Messes invite pests, so thoroughly clean the kitchen, and bathrooms, and straighten up the living areas. Make sure you take out the trash!
2. Don’t leave food sitting around: Food left on the counter can be a breeding ground for flies, ants, and cockroaches. Discard any food waste and wipe down your counters so you don’t leave crumbs, and make sure your pantry items are in tightly-sealed containers. It’s also a good idea to clean out your fridge in case the power goes out– you don’t want anything to spoil and develop maggots!
3. Repair any leaks: Moist environments are ideal for many pests. Before you go on vacation, it’s important to fix any leaky pipes or clogged drains to ensure you won’t have any standing water.
4. Dispose of paper waste: Some pests, such as cockroaches, are attracted to dark and dry places. If you have stacks of cardboard boxes sitting in your basement or attic, clear them out before you leave.
5. Seal cracks or openings: Cracks or crevices in or around windows, doors, foundations, siding, or wood fascia are a common way for critters like mice to sneak into your home. Seal any cracks, and consider putting a weatherstrip or draft blocker on the bottom of your exterior doors.
Before you hit the road this summer, take some time to pest-proof. The critters won’t be able to enjoy your home while you’re enjoying the sun and sand. And don’t forget the sunscreen!
If you need someone to make sure your home is safe, even while you’re away, you can rely on us. Call us at 413-566-8222 or contact us with any questions or if you are experiencing a pest problem. We have the knowledge and service necessary to help keep your home and workplace pest-free!