Getting Rid of Silverfish Can Be Tricky
There’s a reason silverfish have been around for millions of years: they can survive in nearly any climate! Unlike many other pests, which die off or go dormant in the winter, the silverfish, which gets its name from its silvery, metallic appearance and fish-like shape and movements, can remain active all year long. Unfortunately, this means you might see these creepy crawly critters– with their six legs, two antennae, and three tail-like appendages– inside your home during all seasons. They prefer cool, damp areas and thrive in humidity, so their preferred hangout spots can usually include basements, attics, and bathrooms.
While silverfish aren’t poisonous and don’t bite or sting, they can be scary to look at, especially when they’re scurrying full speed across your floor! They also might damage some paper in your home, such as books or wallpaper. They feed on paper items, glue, clothing, dry goods, and even some other insects, but they can last up to several weeks without feeding.
The females can lay up to 3,500 eggs, so it’s better to stop a silverfish infestation before it happens. How can you prevent an infestation in your home?
Try these tips to get rid of Silverfish:
- Don’t leave paper goods like newspapers, mail or cardboard lying around the house, remove them promptly.
- Regularly wipe counters and vacuum floors to remove any food crumbs.
- When storing food such as flour, cornstarch, and oats, use secure containers with tightly-fitting lids.
- Seal any cracks or crevices in your home where the silverfish could enter. Check around the moist or humid areas, such as basements and underneath sinks.
- Consider getting a dehumidifier for your home. It may make the environment less hospitable for the humidity-loving silverfish.
We can help you turn Silver(fish) into Gold. Our team at Graduate Pest Solutions specializes in prevention. Call us at 413-566-8222 or contact us with any questions or if you are experiencing a pest problem. We have the knowledge and service necessary to help keep your home and workplace pest-free!